Thursday, February 18, 2010

Blog #5-Gender Stereotyping inToys

I think that toys today still remain very gender-based. Girl toys are generally “girl” colors such as pink and purple, and boy toys are usually blue or red. After visiting Target.com, I noticed the blatant gender-based advertising for girl and boy toys. The text underneath the Girls’ Toys link read, “From Barbie to Dora and more, the most popular girls gather here.” This statement assumes that all girls like to play with Barbies, and that they aren’t popular unless they like these types of toys. Once I clicked the Girls’ Toys link, I noticed that the majority of the toys were pink kitchen sets, baby dolls or Barbie dolls. When little girls are playing with kitchen sets and baby dolls, they are likely to act like “grown-ups” since these are toys that real grown-ups use. According to a study conducted by Campenni, “The toys found to be most appropriate by both parents and nonparents for girls included items pertaining to domestic tasks, beauty enhancement, and child rearing (e.g. makeup, jewelry, kitchen set, vacuum cleaner, stroller, and cradle).” Women are expected to perform domestic tasks, and if girls are already “playing house”, then they are likely to fulfill this role of domestic housewife.

Upon looking at the Boys’ Toys on Target.com, I noticed the same gender-based toys were being sold. The majority of the toys I saw were toy guns, trucks, and Legos. According to Campenni’s study, “For boys, sports gear, male action figures, vehicles, building items, plastic bugs, and attire for traditionally male occupations were rated most appropriate by both nonparents and parents.” Parents expect their children to play with gender-based toys and it is considered unusual if children want to play with cross-gender toys.

As a child, I enjoyed playing with Barbie dolls, American Girl dolls, all kinds of arts and crafts, and my kitchen set. I especially enjoyed playing with Barbies because I played Barbie “soap opera” and acted out grown-up scenarios. I also enjoyed playing “house” because I felt so much older when I cooked for my imaginary family. In retrospect, when I played “house” I was playing as if I were a real housewife. It’s amazing how something like a toy can define gender roles. I think it is important for children to be allowed to play with cross-gender toy. My parents bought me a Gameboy, and it was also one of my toys even though it was meant for boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment